Appe-Curb is a weight management product produced in America by NuMedica. The pills are primarily designed to function as an appetite suppressant, but NuMedica make some unusual claims about the formulation’s abilities.
The main promised benefits are:
- Nutritional Support for Drug, Alcohol and Carbohydrate Cravings*
- Aids in Improving Mood*
- Supports Increased Energy*
- Helps Restore Major Brain Neurotransmitters, Including Healthy Serotonin Levels*
We have cut and pasted the above statements from the manufacturers website and would like to point out the presence of the stars. The stars are there to draw attention to a small print comment at the bottom of the page that says the statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. Most people probably won’t even think to check what the stars mean, but as a “cover your ass” technique it should work pretty well.
What is Appe-Curb and How Does it Work?
Table of Contents
Appetite suppressants make it easier for people to make do with less food and stick to a calorie controlled diet. NuMedica says their Appe-Curb capsules achieve this by providing “conversion nutrients” and “neurotransmitter precursors” that help satisfy the “reward cascade” of the brain.
They back up this statement by adding yet another star. We had no idea what a reward cascade was, so we did some checks and discovered it is a fancy way of referring to the release of serotonin (feel good hormone).
We already knew elevating serotonin levels can be useful for curbing the desire to comfort eat, and have now discovered the hormone may also have an ability to diminish alcohol and drug cravings.
The Appe-Curb product description provides a brief one-sentence promise of this, and also says satisfying the reward cascade will boost energy levels. We couldn’t find any evidence to back this up, but that’s probably not a big deal because the sentence ends with a star instead of a full stop.
Ingredients – What’s In It
Each (4 capsule) dose contains:
- Vitamin C (500mg): An important nutrient that is known to benefit the health in many ways. Vitamin C is good for the skin, has anti-ageing abilities, and is excellent for boosting the immune system. It can do many other things as well, but directly assisting weight loss does not appear to be one of them.
- Vitamin B6 (37.5mg): A versatile nutrient that can help protect the heart from disease and ensure the metabolism is functioning correctly.
- Chromium (60mcg): A mineral that is often used to lower the insulin and fasting blood sugar levels of people who suffer from type-2 diabetes. This ability may also allow chromium to reduce urges for sugary food. Some experts have speculated a treatment period of 2 to 3 months may produce a modest weight loss of around 1.1kg.
- DL-Phenylalanine (1000mg): Am amino acid that is manufactured in a laboratory and is allegedly capable of treating depression.
- L-Tyrosine (750mg): An amino acid that is sometimes used as an appetite suppressant. There is insufficient evidence to support its use as a hunger killer, but L-Tyrosine can be useful for increasing mental alertness.
- L-Glutamine (375mg): An essential amino acid that is often added to bodybuilding supplements because its presence can help boost muscle growth. It offers many other benefits, but could be seen as a strange choice for a weight loss product because it’s occasionally given to HIV patients in an effort to prevent them from losing weight.
- 5-HTP (75mg): An extract taken from an African shrub. The body needs 5-HTP to manufacture serotonin, so its inclusion here is fitting for the desired aim of the blend.
Appe-Curb Customer Feedback
We were unable to find any customer reviews for this product.
Purchasing Options & Considerations
Appe-Curb will be a hard product to get hold of no matter where you live in the world. It cannot be purchased from the manufacturer’s website or via any online stores.
NuMedica only distribute their products via a network of marketing partners they refer to as “practitioners” and, although this sounds like a multi-level-marketing opportunity it does not appear to be the case.
In order to eligible for practitioner status, people who want to distribute NuMedica products need to be able to provide printed verification of their medical qualifications. Anyone who does not have a local “practitioner”, who is actively pushing the product, will be unable to purchase Appe-Curb. Those who do will need to pay whatever price the practitioner chooses to charge because there is no RRP.
There does not appear to be a money back guarantee.
Appe-Curb Side Effects & Health Issues
The NuMedica website does not mention if side effects are a possibility but, bearing in mind the way the product is distributed, anyone who wishes to use it will always have access to a doctor’s advice.
The Bottom Line
Some of the ingredients used in the formula should help to provide the promised appetite suppression, but there are a few that will not, and the formulation is unlikely to be as strong as that used in a number of competing products. Bearing in mind the difficulties involved with sourcing a supplier, and questions about the price, Appe-Curb does not compare well with many of the other options available.